Sunday, October 12, 2008

Bill Higginson

..

the rain
almost a friend
this funeral


Bill was one of the most warm-hearted people I have ever met. Despite being one of the giants of haiku he was the most accessible and humble of people.

If you do not own a copy of the Haiku Handbook I urge you to buy a copy:

Amazon.com (U.S.)
www.amazon.com/Haiku-Handbook-Write-Share-Teach/dp/4770014309

Amazon.co.uk (U.K.)
www.amazon.co.uk/Haiku-Handbook-Write-Share-Teach/dp/4770014309


I have lost someone very dear to me, and he was always my mentor.

.

8 comments:

nora said...

Thank you, Alan, for your personal insight and haiku. Ironically, or perhaps appropriately, I'm in the middle of reading that book right now. It's on my nightstand.

Anonymous said...

a sad day...

Area 17 said...

Hi Nora,

Please do enjoy the book, it's a wonderful achievement and legacy. ;-)

Beatrice V said...

Condolences for he loss of a friend. I haven't read the book but will get it now.
And the haiku is a simply lovely tribute.

Gwil W said...

20,400 pages on google
for 'bill higginson haiku'
so quite a legacy there

and some lovely photographs of him on those webpages too.

nora said...

Thanks, Alan. :-)

jem said...

Thanks for sharing your personal view of him.

I confess I've had the book on my shelf for years but have only dipped in. When I heard the sad news I thought it was an apt time to take it down and dive in. I'm only a few chapters in, but learning so much already about the true spirit of the form. Very accessible and informative.

Indeed a loss.

Area 17 said...

Hi Jem,

It really is an incredible book. I am so glad you reading it. I still can't believe how Bill could have written such an accessible book that 'correctly' covers so much. A truly amazing achievement.

I think you also adore Bill's Haiku World book at a later time! ;-)